Affiliations and Volunteer Work
I’m a member of these organizations:
• Editors Canada, Toronto branch;
• Professional Writers Association of Canada (PWAC), Toronto chapter, as well as the PWAC Danforth Success Group (subchapter);
• CANSCAIP (Canadian Society of Children’s Authors, Illustrators and Performers);
• The Canadian Children’s Book Centre; and
• Greyhounds in Need of Adoption (GiNA).
“You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give.”
I believe in carving out time to give back to the community, be it canvassing with my
local city councillor, volunteering at The Word On The Street or mentoring novice
editors and writers.
I volunteer my time as:
• chair, Editors Toronto;
• administrative director for the Rowers Reading Series;
• a writer and editor for BoldFace, the blog of Editors Toronto, as well as for other publications, projects and events for Editors Toronto and/or Editors Canada, such as the annual conference and The Word On The Street;
• a mentor to novice editors via Editors Canada; and
• a mentor to novice writers via PWAC.
And I recently finished a 1.5-year commitment as an adult English literacy tutor with the Toronto Public library.
“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”