Affiliations and Volunteer Work
I’m a member of these professional organizations:
• Editors Canada, Toronto branch;
• Professional Writers Association of Canada (PWAC), Toronto chapter, as well as the PWAC Danforth Success Group (subchapter);
• Canadian Authors Association, Toronto branch;
• CANSCAIP (Canadian Society of Children’s Authors, Illustrators and Performers); and
• The Canadian Children’s Book Centre.
“You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give.”
I believe in carving out time to give back to the community, be it planting trees in local city parks, volunteering at The Word On The Street or mentoring novice editors and writers.
I volunteer my time as:
• co-chair of Editors Toronto;
• administrative director of Rowers Reading Series;
• an Advisory Board member for Canadian Authors Association, Toronto branch;
• a writer and editor for BoldFace, the blog of Editors Toronto, as well as for other publications, projects and events for Editors Toronto and/or Editors Canada, such as the annual conference and The Word On The Street;
• a copy editor and proofreader for Networds, the blog of PWAC’s Toronto chapter;
• a mentor to novice editors via Editors Canada; and
• a mentor to novice writers via PWAC.
I also spent 1.5 years as an adult English literacy tutor with the Toronto Public Library in 2013–14.
“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”